Monday, August 2, 2010

16 Weeks and Counting.....Day 1

After computer issues and writer's block, and well I will just list several excuses that could possibly make me not look so bad since I have not posted in a long time. Anyways through all of that jibberish I am saying that I am back, my posts will resume.

Today starts my 16 week training plan for the Route 66 Marathon that takes place on November 21st. Over the last few weeks I have been planning my training schedule, mapping my routes and preparing for bad weather days. So yesterday I was getting very excited looking forward to waking up at 5 and heading out the door.

It's funny how excitement for each of us is different, usually when I am excited I can't sleep and that is just what happened last night. I last remember looking at the clock at 12:05 thinking wow...this is going to be fun in the morning!!...great attitude huh?

So as I stumble around this morning getting ready to head out for my 6 mile, easy pace run Megan is getting ready to head to Perry to volunteer at a coffee shop. She is very excited to be doing that, she has been talking about it all summer long, and today is her day. Meanwhile I am trying to wake myself up to make sure I can squeeze out these 6 miles.

I say goodbye to Meg, watch her drive off and then start following the road leading to my start point. I am doing great during the run, the sad thing is I can still feel heat coming off the asphalt at 5am (fall can't come sooner). Around 3 miles, I start to get into a good feel of things, I made one stop to stretch and then continued on. Well at around the 4.5 mile mark I came upon an older gentlemen probably in his mid-late sixties. He was running too, I strolled up next to him and gave him a few words of encouragement and we actually ran together for a while. He had a shirt on that read "Running Challenge" after a little conversation he told me he was training for a local 5k coming up. I was encouraged by this man, beyond me in years but still pounding the pavement with great effort. Shortly after that I ended my 6 miles. Cooled off and started my day.

Marathon Training Checklist
1. Shake the Nerves and Excitement........check
2. Get plenty of sleep.....................working on it
3. Drink lots of water.............................check
4. Have Fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment