Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Run for Fun?


For those of you who don't know, the best movie trilogy of all time ended with a salute to the old west. I am talking about Back to the Future. In the final of the three films, Marty (Michael J. Fox) has to go back to 1885 to save Doc Brown (Christopher Loyd) from being shot by Bufford "Maddog" Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson).


At a later point in the film, Doc is idled up to the bar at the saloon explaining the future to a table of gambling townies and he is describing the future form of transportation as being automobiles. The townies ask him, if everyone drives one of these automowhatsies then does anyone walk or run? Doc replies with "of course people walk or run but for recreation" towny replies "Run for Fun?"


I laugh at this scene because that is the reaction I receive from so many when I get excited about running. To those of you who have not experienced a foot race such as a marathon or smaller, I promise you there is nothing quite like it. The feeling of accomplishment, the welcoming into that elite group, the camaraderie of the sport, and the battle to succeed. I honestly get excited the more I write about it.


I am so giddy and excited about this weekend. Some people golf, some fish, others may even hunt. I RUN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment