Monday, November 22, 2010

Full of Emotion


207 days ago I signed up for the Williams Route 66 Marathon, 207 days ago I started my quest to qualify for the Boston Marathon, 207 days ago I set out on a mission to truly establish myself as a worthy long distance runner, 207 days ago I set out to make a statement to myself as to who I am, a runner.




The past several months I have been on a journey to try and define who I am, and what I do. It seems as though that is what I am suppose to do. I am suppose to establish goals in my life, make all the proper choices, align all of my experiences to reach said goal. We are encouraged to define our life, our purpose in this world, our reason for existence. We are influenced by money, by opportunity, and by status.


Yesterday I was reminded that my purpose is not defined by what I do or who I am. My purpose is not to be known as a good long distance runner. My purpose is not to bask in my glory. My purpose is to exude the glory of God. I think for the last several months I was making things about me, about what I can do, and about what I wanted to be known for doing.


Sadly I fell short of the goal I set for myself for the marathon. The conditions were tough, and I believe all runners experienced setback(funny because I talked about that in a previous post). My time suffered because of the weather and my body gave out on me. I was not able to reach my goal time of 3hrs 10mins to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Although frustrated, and full of emotion I still was able to put up a good race. I am not done with marathons, I have many goals in mind, but I desire more than anything to use this gift I have been given to bring Glory to God.


Thank you so much to all of you who supported me through my training and definitely who have been reading my posts. I am not done running, nor am I done writing.








1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you came up short of qualifying. This just gives you an excuse to join me in Nashville or San Diego for 2011 races!!! Great perspective and refreshing honesty in your writing, as always.

    ReplyDelete