Friday, July 16, 2010

Weighing in so young!!

So today I want to apologize, this post is not going to be about my training routine, or about a workout that I came across and would like to share with you. It's not even going to be about running as a primary topic. Today I want to share with you something that absolutely breaks my heart and continues to do so every time I come across it. So you might just say I am standing tall upon my soapbox.

I will start by sharing a story with you that happened last Sunday afternoon. My lovely bride Megan and I decided to spend an hour at the swimming pool we like to splash around in. We had been there for probably 20 minutes when all of a suddenly the pool was overtaken by a group of about 200 teenage boys. Apparently there was a camp taking place in the area and they had all decided to spend the hot summer afternoon thrashing around at the pool, understandably so.

Megan and I were watching as these teenage boys just continued to file in one at a time, we made a couple comments and laughed mainly about how awkward those days were, I recalled to her some of my strange happenings as teenager. Well just as the group was dying down, these four boys trailed in, they were definitely a little different than the rest of the group. Then I noticed the one in the back of the group. He probably weighed no less than 300lbs, my heart just sank. I just looked at that poor kid, who had to be no older than 15. His life is already headed towards the grave and he is only 15. He struggled to get around, I was surprised when he took his shirt off and stumbled into the pool.

What has happened to our youth, why are we just sitting back and watching them kill themselves. Why have we let our lives become so busy that the best option for dinner is the drive-thru. Why have we let video game units, 3-D movie experiences, home theater systems, and On-Demand TV keep us from riding bikes, playing catch, going to the Zoo, or having a picnic at the park. Why are we allowing our future generations to kill themselves before they have a chance. .

(Good Read http://dean.runnersworld.com/2010/07/the-great-outdoors.html )

Last night we made a quick trip to Wal-mart (as if that can really happen) to pick up a couple of things, Megan had stopped to pick up some fabric that was discounted and I was standing there observing people around me when a middle aged woman walked by pushing a cart in which a young boy was riding in. The boy was probably 6 years old, and I am not going to exaggerate by any means to make this more dramatic, but I would almost guarantee that he weighed between 140-150lbs. I was in shock, my stomach was in knots and my heart dropped. The worst thing about it the boy was sitting on a 24 pack of Coke. Come on lady, why are you doing this to your kids!!! That is what I was silently screaming at the lady.

Our nation is in a huge situation, no pun intended, if we don't work to change. Like I ranted on earlier, we have to get away from being a fast food nation, and we need to get our active lifestyles back. Please encourage those around you and your loved ones to change their lifestyles if you see them in a deadly situation.

I would love to hear thoughts..Sorry today's post is longer but it is such a sad situation for so many youth. We have to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment